Tuesday, March 3, 2015

GDC day 1

Originally I was not going to post a lot of updates. However, after the first day I have to say that there is just so much I need to do a sort of journal to even organize it!

When I first got here there were crowds everywhere. They weren't there to stand in line to register, but just to chat with groups of friends; big groups of friends. Registering was as simple as signing in and printing off the badge. After that, this being my first GDC and the groups looking pretty well exclusive I decided to just rest up for tomorrow.

Good thing I did too, because the next day when GDC officially started was a whirlwind. I met a couple other first timers, some volunteering for the convention, some paying like myself. We talked about what we did game design wise and a little about ourselves, the usual.

Afterwards I went back to my room and prepared to go. In fact I should have went earlier than I did, the game design workshop was pretty packed even arriving early! Pro tip: Arrive about an hour and 30 minutes early at the minimum for this popular workshop. Passed the time in line chatting and exchanging business cards. Then the game designing started. We ended up in some random team modifying a game first, then later in the day had to design a game based on a random set of constraints. That is two games with a fresh team in one day, which was crazy fast; amazing what we could do with a little guidance from industry vets. Thanks guys, it was an awesome first day!

No comments:

Post a Comment